Thursday, September 17, 2026

IF YOU HAVN'T VISITED ANTELOPE ISLAND IN WEST DAVIS COUNTY, UTAH, BETTER DO IT SOON.

 Antelope Island used to be in the Great Salt Lake, but now a days, it is more proper to call it a Peninsula as it is technically not an island. I spent ten years doing volunteer work there. I worked most Sundays, as that was an excuse not to attend church, or I would used that as my "Just Cause" and some Saturdays when I didn't volunteer to write bibliography at a Heber City Nursing Home. I would often volunteer to work both Saturday and Sunday, and sleep at  the Field Garr Ranch House. No, I didn't have any of Brother Brigham's wives with me! I would take visitors to the room that Brigham Young would stay when he would go out and visit the horses he kept there. Although Antelope Island is now a State Park, it wasn't always that way. Some of the higher up folks in politics didn't like me talking to the tourist, as I told them the truth, and the truth of things are often twisted and after being a public servant, and fighting with various Politician's for 48 years. Politician's often speak with a "Forked Tongue" or so the Ancient Indians would declare. Back when I was running the gift shop or being the Welcome Mat for visitors at the South end, I predicted that within ten years the Island would be a Peninsula, and according to one of the friends that wrote books of the Island, the Great Salt Lake will soon be like the Dead Sea across the Big Water. The reason is as we have a flood of people coming to Utah to live, but Utah and its rural history to be like the downtrodden corruption they came from. But Politician's, on the State and Local rural areas have a love for more money to stack homes on each other with no gardens and take the chances with foreign crops and even the cattle are being filled with chemicals. When the LDS folks came here in 1847, it was called "Church Island" as Brigham Young claimed it. But then the US claimed it after the US fought a "no shots" war with Mexico. The US made it a Utah Territory, and Brother Young lost it in 1870, and several homesteaders placed their stakes there. It will go dry however, as new residents to Utah have the backing of State Elected and Selected folks who can take the waters from Bear River; Ogden River; Provo River(Utah Lake via Jordan River) and use it for Culinary purposes. Before I forget it-after the homesteaders got tired going back to Salt Lake for supplies by way of the south end of the Island, they sold their land to John Dooly Sr. who would graze his sheep there, as did the Anschutz Family from 1972 to 1981. Mr. Anschutz had one of the biggest sheep herds across the Utah line as you drive to Evanston, Wyoming. He would feed his sheep there, then take them to Antelope Island for winter grazing and to shear them in the Spring, and the shearing pens are there to see. Without the consent of the Anschutz family, it was "rumored " that Utah Legislators were going to pull a fast one on the Anschutz family and build a causeway from Davis County out close to Antelope Island. Taxpayers had "the wool" pulled over their eyes, then pressure mounted to squeeze Mr. Anschutz out of the picture, and he sold lock, stock and barrel to the State of Utah. He was in to drilling for oil and his drill up on the way to Frary Peak was bone dry. It is still a good place to visit, especially this time of year, and only the very rich can afford to buy a Buffalo tag.There are more Buffalo on the Island and Rangers have to bid out some of the Buffalo that have to be taken down so the other critters have feed to live on. Their are springs on the Island for stock water, and that was where we had to dig down with the real McCoys from State History. Archeologists had to make sure their were no Indian Remains when they dug down to get a Water line to the new Toilets. I was the bus driver that took Davis County school kids to help the dig, and by golly, they were as good as gold, once taught by the big boys, they could tell the difference between a Antelope and Fremont Indian bone. It was later determined that ancient Fremont Indian's used the island to hunt deer and Antelope. And on one bus trip, I stopped the bus and told kids to remain quiet, as I could hear and see about a hundred head of Buffalo heading for us. Buffalo often move that way and they went around us, but it was a thrill for the kids, but the drivers' heart stopped while I did a quick prayer! If my sister comes up and helps to put photos on here, that will give you an idea of the fun trip which shows how Utah used to be. We invented a Buffalo Chip throwing contest; singers; hikers; horse back riding; Cowboy Poetry and bird Lovers. Bring a jug of water and drive across the causeway slowly as Bobcats like to hide under the bridges to take down birds. Leave the snakes alone, as they eat the mice. I once caught a Blow snake and Blue Racer, but only young kids wanted to view them. Learn of the both the young rocks and the old ones.  The two fellows pictured are former Managers of Island when in private hands. Another photo is of Whisper, the pet deer at the Ranch and folks involved in Buffalo Chip throwing contest. And I am holding a big blow snake for visitors to see, if they chose to.                                         













No comments:

Post a Comment