Sunday, April 24, 2016

A young man from Indiana, then Tooele, Utah; a young man from Nortonville, Utah; Artist Norman Rockwell and their connection to the Boy Scouts of Amierca

It was more of a accident or coincidence how the story of these people came together, when the contents of a historical box spilled out. If you are a youngin, you may not have heard of Norman Rockwell, but his paintings were quite familiar on the Saturday Evening Post as well as barber shops around America a few decades ago. One of his painting prints shows the returning World War I Veteran of whom he honored in 1919. When he met Scouter Keith Loop, a match was made, as young Keith looked as good in a uniform as the Veteran, and in 1927, his painting was used for the cover of all Boy Scout Handbooks, with various other America hero's in the background such as Lindbergh, Lincoln and Washington. When I saw the obituary of Keith Loop, who also turned out to be an artist, I recognized the cover painting and went right to where my fathers Scout Handbook was from 1937.  As I reflected on each of the people shown and listed, I thought about some of the real America hero's we all have, and how much that BSA Handbook would be a heck of a lot better reading than most stuff, even if we don't have to use the information on page 140-the International Morse Code.





3 comments:

  1. Norman Rockwell's art stirs the inner most heart and soul to feel true patriotism. Keith Loop clearly the right face among those who paved the way. What a treasure to possess that edition of BSA handbook. Grateful to be able to read the dedication and for you sharing the inspirational the nuggets of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking through some old family history records and came across an article about a distant relative (Keith Loop) and continued my research online, which led me to this blog post! Being the mother of four Eagle Scouts I am very excited to share this information with them.

    ReplyDelete