Monday, November 30, 2020

Do You Like Chicago? Perhaps, It Depends On Your Point Of View.

Eighty Three years ago, on Oct. 30th, "Phyllis", a gal from Nephi, Utah wrote a letter to LaVon Harris, to tell her of the beautiful city of Chicago. At the time Al Capone had been out of illegal brew for ten years, but Phyllis saw only the beauty. That could have been that she only knew of the good work that she was being taught during her time in the 4-H Club. Her views are different than my first visit to Chicago in 1974. I wanted to see where Mayor Daley had his office, and on my way, I watched a young 14 year old kid try to snatch an elderly woman's purse, who resisted. He pulled out a handgun bigger than himself and shot her in the back and fled. As I tried to give comfort to the dying woman, I watched where the kid ran. Shoppers were annoyed that I laid her down on the sidewalk, in front of them. Nobody offered help until a police officer ran across the street, who had heard the shot. She died in my arms while back up officers arrived. The cops followed me as I sprinted toward the dead end alley where the kid hid. I saw him behind garbage cans, and I grabbed him and threw him against the wall and demanded to know where the gun was. I wasn't used to this type of violence in Utah, and I assume "Phyllis" wasn't either. Although it wasn't until later that I nearly wet my levis, the officers were  a little amazed by the blatant disregard for my own safety. Although Chicago police officers were trying to keep me from further violence on the juvenile, he told me where he threw the gun, and admitted "he had to kill her, as she wouldn't give up her purse". I knew the Miranda Warning well, but didn't follow it. I had no interest in going back to Chicago until I was on an assignment and had the chance to see Soldier Stadium, and the Art Galleries of Chicago. But like Phyllis wrote in her letter, "But to come right down to it, I wouldn't trade Utah for all of Chicago".





No comments:

Post a Comment