Saturday, December 9, 2023

Wes Cole of Nephi, Utah. One of those I refer to as a "Silent Hero".

In our "weekend" of learning during earth life, we often change because of age, or because of circumstances, we don't have the ability to remain as is. Some change comes when we hear, see or read about something that helps to adapt. For me, change of direction comes, when I "feel" it inside. Such was the case today. My intent was to go to the Post Office, then to hell with a diet, and get my favorite full Ham and Eggs at a local eatery. For some odd reason, my vehicle went the long way home from the Postmaster. I drove by the old Fourth Ward LDS Church in Nephi, and in front was the Anderson Funeral Home Horseless Carriage. I pulled in and thought for a moment, then recall hearing that  Wes Cole had passed away. Although I was not dressed in the proper attire, I "felt" that Wes Cole wouldn't give a dam hoot what I wore. I removed my hat and entered, talking to Mike Anderson and Brace Carroll, who was riding shotgun, but like Barney Fife, I knew that neither of those Funeral Directors needed to carry a bullet. I asked for a program and Brace fetched one. I couldn't help but stare into the face of Wes, and recall his genuine smile of decades before. He was the son of his father, and both had that warm, acceptable smile that came directly from their heart. I was their paperboy of long ago, and each month that I was supposed to collect the fee of $1.60, I felt guilt to ask father Frank for it. Their small abode was on the southeast of Nephi, and their was 13 kids to share that cottage, but I recall the feeling it was a home full of love and devotion. I didn't stay for the funeral, but the gathering was small. I did "feel" inclined to go to the Nephi Cemetery, where the earthly remains of Wes would be lowered. I felt so aware of the presence of early Mormon Pioneers afloat, I had to do some research. Sure enough, the Cole family were directed to help build Juab County, with a Cole establishing a Chicken ranch....yup at Chicken Creek, Utah which is now Levan. Then another Cole was second in command of the Nephi Post Office when the best high school in Utah was operating at full steam on Main Street. Wes became another one of my "Silent Hero's", much like Y.A. Tittle in 1963 playing professional football;  John Stockton playing professional basketball; Jesse Owens winning Gold Metals in the 1936 Olympics, defying Hitler's hate and how about short Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier of World War Two. As I was preparing to depart the Church, I greeted a guy that was coming in. It was Bishop Mike Bowring, a local football coach and humble hero to many kids. On to breakfast, and seated at Lisa's Country Kitchen, below the photo of Gordon Kelson, who helped Juab High take the State Basketball Championships years ago. Well done Wes. I will put you in my personal Hall of Famous Hero's who are not the loud and obnoxious, but get the job done.






No comments:

Post a Comment