Monday, November 11, 2019

Nov. 11th has a two fold reason to pause and reflect for the Nephi Jones family.

On each Nov.11th, it is customary for me to travel to a cemetery to honor those veterans who served in one battle or another. Although only a small percent is on the front lines, all participants are logistically important, even those at home who read and send letters of support. Today is the day I chose to honor Veterans and LaVon Jones, who passed away 25 years ago today. As I go through the letters she kept, my tears fall on my desk. Not only did she give comfort to various Veterans who fought in World War One; Korea; World War Two, but to each of her three sons who were called to be in the Viet Nam War. At the time, I didn't feel the pain she did, but now I do, especially when I reflect that many Americans(including Hollywood and famous people) spit on our veterans when they came home. Perhaps that is why I later traveled and interviewed Nazi soldiers in Germany; felt the ashes of those innocent lives that were killed and burned by a world bully; lived in Viet Nam not only on a humanitarian mission, but to search for remains of a lost platoon. And one of our research teams did find the remains of Marine Harold Reid, who came up missing on Sept. 13, 1967. Many thought he got scared and went AWOL on the bridge over Thu Bon River in Quang Nam Province. I interviewed his mother who cried for 33 years. She was later informed her son was a hero, who fought to take down the enemy, and locals buried Harold when he was killed or the locals would themselves be killed. Today, in reading many of the military letters to and from Uncles, my father and my 3 Veteran brothers, I can't help but cry, so will remain home. I recently learned that a returned Iraq Veteran stormed his mothers home during the middle of the night. He was having a nightmare of the past, carrying his weapon from room to room looking for his enemy of the past. When any decent human has to take the life of others, their training kicks in, but often, their "shell shock" doesn't come out for years later. Today, I visit no graves but in my own personal way, I honor all veterans(especially the silent and unknown ones) who did their duty, and to my mother, who in her own supportive way, honored them.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment