Sunday, November 5, 2023

THIS JOE WASN'T JUST AN "OLE JOE"-HE WAS JOE JONES OF 1871.

If a researcher had time to waste, they could count how many "Joe's" were called that nickname compared to the given name of Joe! We do know that this Joe Jones of Juab County, was the second set of Nephi's "Jones Boys." His father was Edward Jones, who arrived in Nephi in 1852, under the direction of Brigham Young. That Edward Jones came from the country of Wales, which was like Scotland- hooked on to England and a part of the "British Isles". He had experience as a Blacksmith and Farmer, and the Pioneer settlement of Salt Creek (renamed Nephi) needed that kind of expertise. His Blacksmith shop was north of the Salt Creek Fort, on 1st East near the Old Hollow, and yes, very near where the seldom spoke of-The Nephi Massacre of local Indians(Ancient Ones) occurred. Joe Jones had 9 Full siblings, with his mother being Martha Jackson, who was one of the Handcart Survivors. She was the second wife of Edward Jones, so this Joe had a few "half-siblings". When I interviewed my father about 50 years ago, he identified the two pictured "full sisters" who are "Aunt Lizzie Cazier and Aunt Louise Broadhead". On the back of that photo, it appears I asked Alma Jones where the house was located. He reported it to be on 1st East at about 5th or 6th South in Nephi. To add more confusion(at least to me), we have included a genealogy sheet showing some of the family connections. This writer loves history, but just the word "Genealogy" gives me a headache, so hope I won't be thrust to Hell when I get past earth life, and hope that God has a better system of keeping track of Who is Who that me & these Dam computers! Now where did I leave the headache medicine!











1 comment:

  1. Oh My Gosh...substitute word "history" for "genealogy" if you need to, but you keep so much of the "past people history" correct/updated for all of us, I think you will be made Head Professor of it when you move ABOVE!!! And you are appreciated down here too...!!! The Tolley Twig

    ReplyDelete