Wednesday, July 3, 2019

The last survivor of Fort Howard-Juab County, Utah Territory has passed away.

Outside the minuscule thought of this writer, there may not be folks around, even locals-of the location of Ft. Howard. To me the Howard compound was a Fort to protect. It is located near Nephi, and was fortified by three different Howard families, with Mat; Maurice and Jack. I was a friend of the twin sons of Jack and Eula Howard, so I spent a lot of time there. Many hours was spent listening to Mat tell of his involvement with Teddy Roosevelt and the Spanish-American war; holding the horse of a notorious outlaw, and enjoying the aroma of his long cigar. Then Mat's son-Jack was like Dell Steele. They were "rock hounds" and took us youngins exploring the west desert of Juab county in search of the earth's sparkling gems. We always counted on Eula to make us sandwiches, and I never turned one down, and neither did the railroad hobo's she wanted to share her apple pie with. At her recent funeral, I recalled of how much I appreciated her and Jack and the entire Howard families. Eula knew I was the leader of the gang of local "Three Musketeer" pranksters, and she was mindful to tell Cliff and Carl to do what's right, not what that Jones boy wanted to do. For some reason, the twins became cops, handy mans, and great parents, devoted grandparents. Eula, thanks for the Keele stubbornness in you; your happy home; work skills; stalwart duties in your church and the free guitar lessons. Jack, thanks for your service in World War II; being my second father; and having faith your son would survive his combat duties in Viet Nam, and your daughter serving in Chile. Well done. I have been feeling angelic pressure to say thanks in writing and apologize to Jack for not showing him where the Nortonville Church/school stood, as I promised him. Now I just may go smoke a cigar and find an apple from the Howard Orchards.




No comments:

Post a Comment