Monday, January 2, 2023

THREE HISTORY STORIES-ALL FOR THE PRICE OF ZERO

Yup, we will start of the new year with 3 separate stories. First one is from an article of the Oct. 5, 1967 The Times News of Juab County, saved by my mother, as I recognize her writing. In those days, the Juab County 4-H was a big thing for all kids to participate in, and their were a heck of a lot of people and pins given out. If you are from these parts, you will undoubtedly recognize a name or two. The second article appears to be from the same local paper, and even today "The Times News" is the only paper or news I read, as I have always suspected that other papers and toxic TV have their own motives, other than what Sgt. Joe Friday said on "Dragnet" saying "just the facts ma'am"! I am assuming it was published about a 100 years ago, as it shows the talks given by the various teachers and Administrator's over the LDS Seminary graduates of Juab Stake, when they gathered at the old Tabernacle and graduates marched a couple blocks north to the Nephi High School(now called the County Complex). Again, if your family members were around back then, your may recognize a few names, and as I am an oldie, I sure do. The third historical artifact is a puzzle. It is a match book cover from the Wm. Len Hotel in the town of Vicksburg, of Civil War fame. I am not that computer savvy, but the President of that hotel was "Mrs. H. Grady Manning", but couldn't figure out how to find the right info. about her. I do believe however, that it was brought home to Nephi, Utah by a family member who stayed there during World War Two Era, simply because of the pencil handwriting on the back side. So, I am beckoned to start my evening wood stove to warm my cottage and well....just speculate about what it all means. Often times, those sort of  thoughts are more entertaining than the real truth. I have spent time in Vicksburg but not at this hotel build in 1930 and built similar to Hotel Utah or the Newhouse hotel of the City of Salt, up north. It is worth 40 bucks on the Internet, but think it is better to burn baby burn.




No comments:

Post a Comment