Wednesday, September 18, 2024

A PROMISE MADE IS A PROMISE KEPT








About four years ago, I was helping the DUP (Daughters of Utah Pioneers) conduct tours for the public at the old Juab County Jail, which was also used as a holding place for those heading to the Territorial Prison where the Sugar House park is in Salt Lake City. In addition, I found fun in opening the log cabin at Nephi's Pioneer Park each Saturday or when their was a group of people nearby. I found delight in that, as it was Alice P. McCune, the DUP President in the 1930's, who directed my grandfather to cut the logs to build the cabin, which was completed in remembrance of the Mormon Pioneers that first came to Nephi. If you knew her, as I did picking weeds at her home, nobody could turn down Alice P.! Evan Harris had two sawmills above Nephi, and he and his boys and brothers brought them down, and people of the area gathered to build the log cabin in the 1930's and the DUP has kept it in prime condition. Growing up in Nephi and being a member of the Nephi City Council I had a great interest in the upkeep of it. I told the new Park Manager if he would be willing to use his machines and manpower to transport the Bell that was near the cabin and take it back to the new Nephi Town Park created by Nephi City, and build a holding facility to give information about it. For that good cause, I told him I would bring it up in City Council for a vote, and it was approved. I shook hands with Gerratt Bethers, the Park Manager and "A PROMSE WAS MADE, AND IT IS NOW KEPT". In addition to Gerratt, we acknowledge Nephi City workers including the expertise of Clark Wood and former DUP President, Peggy Johnson. All folks in the Intermountain area are invited to Nephi for the Monument Dedication. Come One Come All. And remember, the DUP is non-profit and they could use your donation...please!



No comments:

Post a Comment