Sunday, June 5, 2022

DIANE KAY HOUSTON SMILED AS SHE PASSED ST. PETER

In case you all missed her funeral, we have the program for you to gaze and ponder with. To her kids and grandkids, she was known as Mom, Grandmother, but to other folks in Juab County, she  was known as Diane Kay of Mona. Although she wasn't blind, she was set up on a blind date, and yup, it was love at first sight for both Joe Houston and Diane Kay. Although we are cousins, I had no idea her first name was the same as her mother-Norma Kay. Doesn't matter as even the town of Mona was once known as Clover Creek; Willow Creek and some even mistook it for Starr, as the Starr Family built homes where the Young Living Farm is now. When I was a pup, I always liked to visit with Aunt Norma and Uncle Cleon, who we called "Uncle George". They had five of the most beautiful daughters this side of the Missouri. That included Marie, Beth, Donna, Becky and Diane. We think it had a mixture of their Mom but Cleon was more dashing than any of the James Bond dudes. And Diana's two bothers-Kent and Randy had that same broad smile and keen eyes. The Kay sisters liked to hang out together, and when I entered the 7th grade, I could tell all the "Big Boys" that I could wheel and deal them to take one of my cousins on a date. Fat Chance! They were so beautiful and a loving heart, they could have their pick of the litter, and they each did. After high school graduation, Diane married Joe Houston out of Spanish Fork, and that was where they built their earthly home in 1962. My sister and I did a surprise visit on her a couple weeks ago, and she still had that beautiful and loving smile. Some inner qualities just remain for ever and ever. Joe was an industrial painter, which meant they moved to a variety of places, but they returned to their Spanish Fork home. Diane was like her mother-an excellent cook; housekeeper; gardener; farmer and all the kids learned the now lost art of work ethics. They had to as Cleon was in a serious vehicle accident which eventually claimed his life. Diane was always up to snuff when it came to helping Primary kids and the Cub Scouts and raised three great kids. In her spare time, she was a true Volunteer at Mountain View Hospital. If you are the family or friend of Diane, you have met a Princess. I felt happy to have sat on the back row of the LDS church where the funeral was held. I neglected to polish my cowboy boots as I thought Diane would giggle at that. Not to be outdone, the guy sitting next to me must have wore his grandfather's boots as they looked like that Brigham Young wore them across the plains with Diane's great grandmother. Well done Diane.





No comments:

Post a Comment