Saturday, June 24, 2023

ONCE YOU BECOME A FATHER.....YOU REMAIN A FATHER....FOREVER.

When I became the father of these two boys, my life became different. Although I was a close friend to my father who I respected, becoming a father was fun and yet brought a whole new meaning to being a parent of another human being. It was thrilling to attend each of their school productions and activities; sports, but became their friend and allie. One of our routines they looked forward to was each Saturday we spent sweeping and cleaning the garage. Although many years have passed since this weekly ritual occurred, I couldn't help but sweep the garage once again today, but did so alone. Their photo sat on a nearby bookcase as if they were both watching me with guardian eyes. I couldn't help but sit down and shed tears of joy for the good times I had as a father, Being a parent is one of the greatest challenges of life on earth, and now that I have only one son left in this sphere, I continue to wonder and worry about what I should or should not have done differently. I assume that each parent and grandparent shares the same concerns. I pay my respect and gratitude to all those fine folks they call parents, even to my little 75 year old brother, who lives in Alaska; never married or had kids of his own, but took on the duty of being a father type to Gary Jr. and a worthy example of a father in helping kids with his written books and Alaska excursions with nieces and nephews. I assume that is why it is much easier to be a father when we are younger! Thanks to God who granted me the privilege to be a father to both of my sons-Troy Coyn and Justin Wm. Jones.




1 comment:

  1. Such a good and heartfelt message. The boys in turn was given the best dad ever!

    ReplyDelete