Thursday, March 28, 2024

TODAYS HISTORY STORY IS OF THE HEBERVILLE SCHOOL OF 1897

 In order to get a full understanding of the who's and where's of the make shift school of 1897, we submit foundational information. This photo copy and a previous panromantic photo of Heberville was presented in a blog a few weeks ago. Those photos were provided by Kevin Ockey, son of Jimmy Ockey Jr., a son of James H. Ockey Sr., the son of Heber Ockey, the son of Ed Ockey, who was friends with Wilford Woodruff and Brigham Young when they got together by Ole Miss., in Nauvoo, prior to the Mormon Trek to the barren Territory, now called Utah, but overloaded with Invaders who want to ruin our farms, history and culture! When you read this, please have patience as the notes I took was an all day discussion with 91 year old Jimmy Ockey, and his memory recall was a lot sharper that my pencil or mushy brain was. It was very fascinating to listen to such a smart; spiritual and former teacher at the Central School of Nephi, and who used to live not far from me in Nephi, where my father and I would often visit his family of which their was the solemn son-Kevin, and four young but vibrant blonde sisters. They grew up to be as pretty as their mother and Aunt Ann Carter Keyte. The main objective with my chats with Jimmy was to get information about the kids that used a cattle shed for their school. That photo was taken on Dec. 23.1897. My Maternal Grandfather(Evan Harris) and his wife-Eliza had their home in the enclave below where the Ockey Campground was. Their home was to the South of Salt Creek and I recall my mother showing us kids where her family lived and worked before she was born. Evan or Ev, as he was called-had a sawmill by the home, and I have been to the area and viewed the remains of it. Ev additionally had a sawmill off the Mt. Nebo Loop Rd. and the Canyon is still called "Sawmill", and to the west is still called "Evans" Ridge. Several years ago, Juab County went to Federal Court to reclaim the dirt road down to where the Sawmill was, but they lost the fight, and gall dang it, the Feds took custody of my Map, which was submitted as evidence, along with my testimony. That's another affirmation to me- that you can never trust any Politician within the United States, and on 3 occasions I swore to uphold our Constitution. I did, but most don't. Back to the story. My focus was to help Rachelle Humble-a Nephi Harris Kin, whose family is putting together a Genealogy and Historical Book on the Nephi Harris Family and their trek from the UK to Nephi as the third LDS Wagon Train to Utah. Now back to Heber who Homesteaded 160 Acres up the Canyon at the fork of Highway 132 and where it turns left up to Dad and Sons. If you don't know where that is, ask a true Nephite, not the Forest Service! Rachelle lives in the "real" town of Greenacres, Washington. If you know any of the school kids in front of the stack of hay, send Rachelle a note on Facebook. According to Jim Ockey, he recognized two sisters that were the Vickers Family a little up the canyon where Hops Creek comes under the road. I thought the taller older boy on the left looked like one of the Harris sons, as Ev had some working for him. Andrews Canyon had men working the Red Sandstone Quarry and the Coulson Family had Salt Mines there, so get your thinking caps or contact your grandparents. Ed Ockey had 3 wives in Polygamy and as Ed was considered a "Worthy" Mormon man! One of Ed's wife was a Jones, so Jimmy and I are related which blends the Good and the Bad! Ed is buried at Vine Bluff. Above the "Petti Coat Cliffs", the Jenkins family ran a farm there, which can be reached by going up the road by the Cattle "Garage". The pond below was named after that family, but Jimmy thought they left the area when Forest Rangers kicked them out! As a Mormon, where do I find an "Unworthy" wife? And another By-The-Way thing. A few weeks ago while on a visit with Jimmy, I spoke to Jim's brother-Steven Ockey, of Juab High Fame who now resides in the Northwest.



1 comment:

  1. Oh My...learned alot from this posting...I had NEVER heard of Heberville before...very interesting!!! (I remember James H. Ockey was a Seminary Teacher when I was that age...a short time but a long time ago!!!) Kent, your parents certainly left you a Gold Mine of great value. The Tolley Twig

    ReplyDelete