Thursday, January 13, 2022

EVER BEEN IN A HOUSE FIRE? THIS WAS MY FIRST ONE.

I wasn't quite sure why my family saved this edition of The Times News of Juab County, but after reading the second page I knew. At first I didn't know how the Nephi Riding Club got mixed up with it, but nevertheless, they became the State Champs in the "Broom Pole" championship. After searching more, I found that my mothers brother had died in California, and she and my brother-Hal went down for the funeral. As I got older and more interested in family history, my mother gave me Uncle Vic Harris War metals from World War One. He was known as "Happy Harris" and one of his buddies wrote a letter to our local paper saying that regardless of the bad situations they were in, he fought and helped with a smile on his face. He died young, and as I got older and on a work duty, I visited his widow near Disneyland. She was nearly blind, but had been learning brail and knew how to get around her small home without sight to prepare for her future of darkness. She became another of those I esteemed. I was only 4 when my Uncles funeral was going on, but recall the house fire well, as one of our slow moving neighbors-Don Sperry, hurried in to the house to wake my Dad and quickly reported our house was on fire. Sure enough. Us little kids were all grabbed from our sleep and out of the house. Dad and Don put out the fire that had started when sparks from the fireplace caught the curtains on fire. Thanks Don, brother of Mable Sperry, Alean Pace, Rheta, Pope and George A. Sperry of Nephi.



No comments:

Post a Comment