Saturday, September 2, 2023

TESTING YOUR MARRIAGE-By Dean Bowles

The institute or habit of "Marriage" has been around since the beginning of our life on earth. The first part of todays story is only my guess of what I have read; studied or watched, will then will re-write the test of marriage by Dean. I was brought up in a religious home and community where a marriage was a big deal, with a full array of beautiful dresses; flowers and a reception. In my college days, we found ourselves bored and would drive along Highland Drive in Salt Lake, as that is where most of the big receptions were held. Four of us single guys would walk through the line and hug all the brides maid, not knowing any of them, but the line folks didn't want to ask, so we played the role and got our full body hugs, then ate their cookies and traveled back to our dorms. But our youthful teachings got to us and we all eventually got married as we were brought up to think that was proper. Nowadays, marriage isn't viewed as important, and various sides can chat up a storm as which way is right. I am still not sure, but do believe a partnership has to begin with physical attraction; similar interests and a devotion to keep together. On the other hand, I have witnessed some kids are so emotionally disturbed with a divorce, there just may be complications. I am afraid our schools missed the boat in teaching our kids the things that really count in life, and commitment is one of them, regardless if it is to person or employer! Anywho, here is a story of togetherness as Dean and Nedra have been hitched for more years than most of us have been alive. I personally know another local couple that have been together for several years and they have a perfect love of togetherness for each other. You decide what is best for you and yours and I will support your decision while I look for my future ex-wife!

TESTING YOUR MARRIAGE-By Dean Bowles

It was July of 1972. My mother-in-law was about to have a  hip replacement. Nedra and I with our 6 children climbed into our small camper and went to Beaver Dam, Utah(in Box Elder County)to be with her mother during her operation. Two days later after our arrival Nedra drove her mother to Ogden to the Holy Cross Hospital. Each day Nedra would go visit her while I tended the children. Four days later Nedra brought her mother home. After a week of tending those little angels I felt I needed a break. Jeff and David were helping Uncle Ralph on the farm. I said to my other two sons, Darryl who was 10 or 11 and Mark who was about 8 years of age, "Lets drive over to Bear Lake". They were happy about that so we got into the camper and headed out. We saw Bear Lake from the top of the mountain on the west and the winding road heading to the small town at the bottom. When we arrived we saw a big sign "FIRE WORKS". I said "what do you think guys?"  "Lets get some Dad". After a large purchase we drove north thru Lake Town ad found a road leading up a small canyon. We soon had our own fireworks show. You have never seen such big miles and excitement on the faces of those boys. A little ground hog poked his head up thru a hole and I shot him. When Darryl saw this little dead animal I knew he did not like what he saw. I did not shoot any more animals. It was getting sundown so I fixed supper and we stayed there for the night. The next morning, half joking, I said, "I don't believe you boys have ever seen Yellowstone Park". Well, after the excited look on their faces I could not disappoint them. We were soon on the road again--headed for Yellowstone Park. When we came to Afton, Wyoming I called a friend, Clyde Stock, who was an Oral Surgeon practicing in Visalia, California, but was there at his ranch in Freedom, Wyoming. I said, "what ae you doing Clyde". He said, "where are you?" I said "here in Afton". He said, "come on down, we are loaded and ready to float down the Snake River --come and go with us". We hit a few rough spots and lost our motor and got a little wet. When we arrived back in Freedom later that evening Rea's mother fixed supper for us. We were very tired so spent the night with them. Rea's father, Ernest Brog, started The Star Valley Cheese Factory. The next morning we started for home. As we drove along I remembered my friend, Ray Ostler, who had a cattle ranch at Gray's Lake, Idaho. We were very good friends and partners in crime. There was a group of us that were dubbed "The Wild Horse Gang". The Gang robbed a train in Nephi and John Winn's grandfather, Ed Winn, who was the Sheriff, tracked us down. But that is another story. After spending the day at the ranch with my boys catching stinky snakes, looking at horses and cattle, and Ray and I reminiscing about our early days with the gang, we again headed home. We passed the ranch of Harmon Killebrew, who was the big hitter on the Milwaukee Braves baseball team. We continued on home passing thru Grace, Idaho, the little town where Ray and his family would go for the winter when the snow came and he kids needed to be in school, continuing thru Preston, Idaho, Logan, Utah and on to Beaver Dam arriving in early evening. As we pulled up in front of Grandma's house my family were standing outside. The first words out of Nedra's mouth were, "where the "samhell" have you been? Why didn't you call us?" When she said "samhell" I knew I was in trouble. I thought they would say "welcome home; We are glad to see you. Did you have a good time". But we worked it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment