Wednesday, November 23, 2022

"JIMMY CRACK CORN" and I did care!

As  a kid in Elementary School, we often sang the song "Jimmy Crack Corn and I don't care-My Masters gone away". At the time we enjoyed singing the song, having no idea what it meant at the time. We no longer hear that song, as some folks think it was offensive  like doing away with the gal who made the Aunt Jemimah flour or cake mix. To bad, but you kant changed history, but learn to deal with it. As a high school student, I found my father and his four sons working on a part time basis at the Juab County Flour Mill, as I didn't know it at the time, but we were helping our parents help make ends meet. There were a lot of good people working there including King Sidwell and the Powell family and Bert Winn. When I started singing the song, it was the time I first learned it was written prior to the Civil War and written by a Black Slave who liked his owner, but didn't mind it when he died. At the time, I was concentrating more on making sure we filled up the small bags of flour for different companies, then later go to Ralphs market and find that the prices were different, even though all the flour came from the same crush bin. I knew it was all good, as it was from the Levan Ridge. I bring this up, as last week, I was feeding "cracked corn" to help fatten up a Steer, and decided to take a photo of  a 1940's Flour Mill receipt, then take a photo of the cracked wheat I was feeding. Take a gander at all the various flours that were made right down town in a great rural town that ain't rural anymore, as outsiders want it to be just like the big city they came from! Lot of stuff in earth life that doesn't make any Cents!



!

No comments:

Post a Comment