Friday, January 19, 2024

THIS IS A PHOTO OF THE SECOND FORREST HOTEL OF NEPHI, UTAH

 Back in the early days of Nephi, downtown was a thriving community. We didn't have a Freeway, so we had a lot of folks coming through on Old Highway 91. Part of the original one made of cement can be seen just west of the turn off to Mona, to the west before you head down to the Jackson family. Anyway, local folks had everything to purchase in Nephi, as it was a thriving business, and operated without taxing the hell out of citizens, which seems to be the drive of local leaders. The first Forrest Hotel was where the "Annex" is now. When that was built, it was a fancy place that people would stay in the 19th Century. The owners then built the new one as shown. Most travelers referred to it as the South Hotel Utah, as folks could find the best food and comforts of the rich and famous. As young boys, me and a brother took turns to load the coal bins and take out the clinkers there. One day, I was in a hurry and didn't go through the back hidden door, but walked right up through the dining room, and needlessly to say, my clothes were as black as night. High living folks were upset. As I got outside, I was caught by the owner, who chewed by butt off for showing guests I was a 12 year old wearing fitly clothes. I didn't get fired, but that was a lesson learned. Anyway, it  became so popular, it got too many travelers, so owners built the Annex to be a short drive to that place, and that was a nice place, and I was given a tour of it when it became apartments, and still a fancy place. Next door was a birthing place where mid-wives could deliver babies, and I have an older Harris cousin that was born there. When the second Forrest had a reduced amount of travelers as folks took the new freeway past Nephi, so the owners sold it, even though the hotel was still in good condition and it then became the Colonial Manor, and it was a Nursing Home, which was a term they used back then. My mother became a Volunteer there and often organize events and groups to come in. My father had the stucco job to repair any plastering, and I helped him and became familiar with the residents and the staff. The owners then sold that, and new owners let it set idle, and it became a hazard. Oh well, that sometimes happens to historical places. My Uncle Ren Harris, a Veteran of World War One was a resident there who my brother- Gary B. Jones as a frequent visitor. That is my viewpoint which is as honest as this old brain recalls. The once high class structure was at the corner of Track and Main, where an oil change place is now located.



No comments:

Post a Comment