Sunday, July 12, 2015

If you were raised in Juab County of the State of Utah, you may be familiar with a variety of phrases that are a little perlexing.



The Ute Stampede was recently held in Nephi, Utah, and during those rodeo days I had a chance to talk to some young cousins. As they were going on their way, I reminded them not to pick up any Hobo's along the way. They hadn't heard of that term so I attempted to explain it by saying to avoid  Riff Raff, but that didn't seem to help. They did understand what a Bum was, so I let it go from there. As I returned home, I remembered a lot of the phrases I grew up with and recall some, including my mother warning us on the way out the door to "Watch our P's and Q's". It wasn't until years later, when living in England, that I found out what that stood for, which would have caused my mother to have had a "Conniption Fit". I was told by the English blokes that their beer was served in Pints and Quarts, and the barkeep would remind customers not to imbibe excessively, and when that phrased arrived in America, it was shortened to P's and Q's. I used to think the phrase of "Give me the whole nine yards" was termed by the Nephi Ludlow brothers when they were delivering cement, as that was how many cubic yards were in their truck. Another version shows during World War II, our fighter planes had machine guns that were fed by a belt of cartridges that were 27 feet (9 yards) long. If the pilot used up all his ammo he was said to have given the whole nine yards. When I did some volunteer work at Antelope Island, I recall being informed by a biologist about the owls there and how they "would caught up a hair ball", which meant that the owl eats their prey whole, then later.....yup....cough up the feathers, bones and fur. A Navy man told me what it meant to be "Shanghaied" in that during earlier times, guys would get too many "P's and Q's" in them in San Francisco, then be kidnapped by sea merchants who forced them to do slave labor all the way to Shanghai. I was never sure why people would say "God Bless" after I sneezed, and research shows that in the 1600's some people thought the sneeze was to get rid of Evil Spirits. 
Does Max Orme and the Silver Maple still use a left handed Monkey Wrench
What is so Holy about a Cow
Which plant Died on the Vine
If the horse is dead, why even talk about beating it after
If you are taking a water turn and want to take it for a"Titch longer", how much time is that
When your mother tells you to come home, how long is a "Jiffy"
Would Dean Shaw know what is "Coming out of the woodwork is"
Who at the cheese factory is really "The Big Cheese"
If you are up to snuff, then help be figure these out before I go Helter Skelter.
On and by the way, here is a photo of some Hobos passing through town.



No comments:

Post a Comment