Sunday, April 26, 2015

A short history lesson of the Levan, Utah LDS churchhouse, then some insight in to the add on of the building next door.

Many travelers by pass Levan, Utah and as such they miss out on a grand view of the LDS Chapel. It is a beautiful ward house for the worshipers of Levan, and information shows it was constructed in 1904, at a cost of $16,000.00  The building was later dedicated by Joseph F. Smith, the President of the Mormon Church and five hundred people came to watch. The high ceiling was designed so they could put a balcony in later, but it never was. I am not sure of the exact year, but I am guessing it was in 1960. That was when the building next door had the interior walls put in. I recall it well was I was hired at age 12 to be the cement mixer. The boss was my father Alma Jones, and he often hired other people to assist him, but I was the mixer, using a hoe and a long trough type box. Alma kept track of the amount of fibered plaster he used; the sand, then the bags of lime for the final coat. The bib overall size notebook shows others who helped, including Gerald Carter; Edgar Christensen; Glen Christensen and Lloyd Stephenson. During the several week job, I recall we would splurge at times and have a great lunch at the café, which still stands, but just verily. It all brings back good memories, not only of the café, but the first real job and was able to meet other kids my age in Levan.




No comments:

Post a Comment