Tuesday, April 21, 2015

With the passing of Norman Bangerter, we wll pay respect, and in doing so, we take admiration of he and others that married well.

Most folks that knew Norm Bangerter liked him, as I did. Just prior to the attached photo being taken of me and Governor Bangerter, he had been late showing up for a proclamation signing. To pass the time, I sat at the Governor's desk and in doing so, the Governor walked in and caught me red handed. I jokingly ask him to take a photo of me at his desk, and without a blink he did so and we joked about it. I found him to be very down to earth, as was wife-Colleen Monson Bangerter. His passing got me thinking about what it takes to make a great man greater. I answered by own question, and thought of two other Utah men who became leaders of millions, and perhaps, just perhaps, a part of it was because of who they married, as those women were from Nephi, Utah. Scott Matheson became a Utah Governor in 1977and re-elected in 1980. I liked him so much that I bought his working desk and using it right now. More important was he married well, getting hitched to Norma Warenski, who was the daughter of Nephi Doctor Warenski, and Nephi was her home town until her father wanted to become even a better Doctor, so the family moved to Philly and San Francisco, then came to rest in Salt Lake. To me Matteson was a Governor for all Utah people and didn't speak with a forked tongue. Norma still is respected by all, and should be, as she is a Nephi gal after all. The second great leader was Gordon B. Hinckley, who became the President and CEO of the Mormon Church. I had an occasion to spend a few minutes of time with him in his office many years ago, and thought then, he had good character,  just as a human being. He also married well, in joining matrimonial forces with Marjorie Pay, who was born and raised in Nephi, Utah in 1911. She was the first child of Phillip Leroy and Georgetta Paxman Pay. Most commoners often remarked what a very gracious woman she was. So I pay my respect to all the good women, that made their men great, the Nephi way.


No comments:

Post a Comment